|Yami of Darkness|
|Season 2, Episode 23|
|Air date||August 5, 2007|
Episode Synopsis[edit | edit source]
This episode introduces Marik into the storyline. Marik, controlling Bandit Keith, has Keith steal Yugi's puzzle, forcing him to duel over it. As the building where the duel is taking place catches fire, Joey, Tristan, and Tea arrive to help Yugi escape. Bandit Keith then breaks the puzzle, and Bakura arrives to help Yugi put it back together. Yami Bakura puts his soul into a piece of the puzzle and then escapes. Joey and Tristan manage to break into the building and save Yugi and the puzzle.
References[edit | edit source]
- (Title) The title is a reference to the movie "Army of Darkness" .
- (00:00) Yami is paraphrasing the Pussycat Dolls song "Don't Cha" .
- (00:29) Mr. T is an American actor. He appeared in the A-Team TV show and the movie Rocky III .
- (00:47) Tea's story that begins "This one time at duel camp" is a reference to Alyson Hannigan's character from the "American Pie" series, who began many of her stories with "This one time at band camp" .
- (02:23) This is the song "Mr.Roboto" by Styx .
- (03:21) Harry Potter is a kid magician, protagonist of both books and movies with his name as the title. The ending of the 6th book was so famously spoiled that it became a meme.
- (03:44) Showgirls is a 1995 film, popular with the camp crowd, which consists of quite a few gay people.
- (04:03) "This looks like a job for Limey Man" is a reference to Superman's catchphrase in his early years, "This looks like a job for Superman".
- (04:11) Bakura's line is a reference to the movie "They Live", with the original line being, "I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
- (04:59) The song that plays in Bandit Keith's head is "La Marseillaise" , France's national anthem.
- (06:00) Tea's "We didn't start the fire" line comes from Billy Joel's song of the same name.
- (06:05) "Zoh my god!" is Tea's attempt at pronouncing ZOMG, which itself is an alteration of the initialism "OMG", which means, "Oh, my God!"
- (06:18) Every time an episode of cartoon Pinky and the Brain ends, Brain mentions the following night and this discussion takes place :
Pinky: "Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tomorrow night?"
Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!" then the theme song plays, like in this episode.
- (Credits) These are lines from the movie Army Of Darkness (the "boomstick" is actually a shotgun).