|Sailor Moon Abridged|
8/28/2007 - ongoing
The second Sailor Moon Abridged series to debut, Megami33's version is notable for having the highest quality and the longest run. It was one of the first abridged series to be created and voiced by a group rather than having only one or two creators. The origins of the group are not known, though most of them were already friends before Sailor Moon Abridged began. As with most abridged series, at first the group produced an episode a week, but eventually the time between episodes increased as the production team had less time to work with and higher quality standards.
Sailor Moon Abridged is made by the combined efforts of Megami33, KrisRix, Roll002, MaxSkate2001, Whip0fAlchemy, and Judgement915. According to their web site, they made the script of each episode by watching the episode and gathering ideas together. They would record the voices after the ideas were collected and refined into a script, and then Megami33 would edit the video footage to line it up with audio recordings. After a week, they would all gather again to review what they had so far.
As of May 21st, 2010, Whip0fAlchemy resigned, so along with MaxSkate2001's disappearance, there were only 4 active members.
On October 26th, 2010, Megami33's account was terminated due to a copyright claim by Toei Animation. The claim was not successfully countered, so the series switched to hosting on Blip.tv (which has since also been terminated) and a backup Youtube channel SMAchannel.
In December 2014, the group made an announcement on Facebook about a major redesign of the website for the series, sailormoonabridged.com. The improved site includes links to all episodes sorted by season, cast biographies, and sections for fan-works, blog posts and upcoming events. The introductory blog post indicates that the team would still like to finish season 2 of the series, but due to time commitments it's difficult to say at this time if that will ever be realized.
Opening music is the Sailor Moon Theme by Nicole & Bynne Price. The second version of the opening was done by KaiserNeko
- Megami33: Serena/Sailor Moon | Luna | Sammy | Serena's Mom | Mrs. Haruna | Random Others
- KrisRix: Amy/Sailor Mercury | Raye/Sailor Mars | Mina/Sailor Venus | Queen Beryl | Zoicite | Anne | Molly | Andrew | Fat Girl | Random Others
- Roll002: Lita/Sailor Jupiter | Tuxedo Mask (ep. 4-5, 13/14, 18, 23, 28, 30-43, Movie: PotLR)| Jedite | Nephlite | Melvin | Random Others
- Whip0fAlchemy: Malachite | Titus | Young Fiore | Greg | Random Others
- Judgement915: Artemis | Windows Vista Intelligence System | Italia | Fiore | Alan | Random Others
- Elana Mugnan: Kissenian Blossom
Past Cast MembersEdit
- MaxSkate2001 - Tuxedo Mask (ep. 1-29)
- EvilChicken25 - Tuxedo Mask (ep. 44-50)
- Simon Gannon - Ep. 34
- Ace - Ep. 38
- Nancy - Movie: PotLR
- LittleKuriboh - Ep. 41-50
- M. Alice LeGrow - Ep. 42
- NathanGraves989 - Ep. 43
- Lanipator - Ep. 44
- Windaria/ThatAmbrosiaChick - Ep. 44
- Dietrich0711 - Ep. 45
- Two Best Friends Play: Matt & Pat - Ep. 48/49
|"Sailor Moon Theme " by Nicole & Bynne Price|
The second version of the opening was done by KaiserNeko.
Episode List Edit
Sailor Moon takes the stage like never before!
|Aug 28, 2007|
Jedite hosts a radio show, and somehow neither Luna nor Sailor Moon recognize his voice...
|Oct 9, 2007|
Jedite's new plan is to steal energy from fat girls. Serena, of course, takes the bait.
|Oct 14, 2007|
Jedite is stealing energy from contestants in a talent show - why Serena is there, no one knows.
|Oct 28, 2007|
Some new girl shows up, but no can hear a word that comes out of her mouth... Something to do with the planet Mercury?
|Nov 11, 2007|
Jedite's new plan has something to do with clocks. Don't worry, he doesn't know the specifics either.
|Nov 24, 2007|
Sailor Mars finally shows up! And everyone's sort of regretting it...
|Nov 29, 2007|
Jedite goes after little kids in an amusement park. The Scouts just so happen to be there. Convenient things are great.
|Dec 13, 2007|
Jedite decides to set up a fake Love Cruise to steal "love energy" from happy couples. The Scouts (who are all single) pretend they have reasons to be there.
|Dec 23, 2007|
Jedite dies. It sure sucks to be him.
|Dec 30, 2007|
- Serena has a reoccuring habit of wanting to throw up, is consistently called fat, and is portrayed as being excessively dull, for example when Luna was reading something, Serena shows surprise that she can read, when Luna states that if she can talk of course she can read, which then Serena is surprised that she can talk despite already having several conversations with her.
- Luna has an exaggerated British accent.
- Serena is reluctant and oblivious to her duty as Sailor Moon.
Amy is displayed as quiet and shy, a reoccuring joke is that she is too quiet, no one can hear her. She is also constantly mocked for being near useless in combat and having worthless powers.
- Quite the opposite, Rei is loud and angry. She is often threatening others as well as calling Serena fat. She is fascinated with death, is a devil worshipper, and has two birds named "Bloody" and "Dagger".
- Lita is a transsexual who speaks like a gangster, and has the most common sense out of the entire group. Mina is a colossal slut with a Valley Girl accent who is incredibly dumb, sometimes forgetting her own name.
Quotes from English DubEdit
This version often uses the lines from the English dub (usually reading: Actual Dialogue From the English Dub). The things that come from the original dub fall under the category of "you just can't make this stuff up."
Plot Holes, Continuity Issues and Mistakes in the Original Version Edit
Sailor Moon Abridged often points out any plot holes, continuity issues or mistakes in the original Sailor Moon, this includes:
- The fact that nobody can figure out the true identity of the Scouts even though they don't have masks.
- When characters forget to use powers that they possess or suddenly use a power they did not have previously. For example, when Zoycite is overcome by rats while chasing after Luna even though she has the ability to teleport or when Sailor Moon uses her tiara as a "lesbian trapper".
- Confusion with Zoycite's gender
- The many names of the silver imperium crystals
See Characters of Sailor Moon Abridged for more details.
Laughing Track Edit
A laughter track is used off and on in the series to give it more of a sitcom feel. Usually it is used when everything is normal, i.e. no villains, Sailor Scout forms, etc.
Some of the characters, specifically Serena, are bulimic.
Usually whenever a character says "Jesus" out loud, the voice of Jesus answers. Usually the answer is only one sentence.
Sailor Says Edit
This was an educational section of the original show that was played at the end. It would give advice to the child audience. In the abridged version, it is often used to give bad advice. For example, in the first episode, the Sailor Says was that exercising was hard and that being bulimic was an easier way to lose weight.
This section also comments on how suggestible the audience, specially kids and pre-teens, are.
Censor Noise Edit
Instead of using the standard bleep noise for censoring, this series uses an alarm noise. This sound is similar to the unit under attack sound from the RTS Total Annihilation.