|SAO Abridged Parody|
Something Witty Entertainment
March 29, 2013 - Ongoing
It is the year 2022. Thanks to Kayaba Akihiko, his company Argus, and their latest invention the NerveGear, virtual reality has now progressed to the point of it being hard to differ from real life.
Once Argus's new launch title Sword Art Online is released, 10,000 people swiftly bought it. Only to come to find that once they are in game, they can't log out, and when they die in the game, they die in real life.
Their only escape from this world is by clearing the game, which stands at 100 floors of beautiful landscape and boss fights. Now, the fate of the helpless 10,000 rest in the hands of the game's strongest player. The only problem is that he's an asshole and doesn't care about them.
The opening song for the Aincrad Arc was "This is War" by 30 Seconds to Mars and it was replaced by "Real Life" by Greek Fire when the Fairy Dance Arc started.
In October 2014, it was announced that Jragoswinn and Misanda had left Something Witty Entertainment due to creative differences and their characters had been recast. This led to delay in the production of Episode 5 as new voice actors were cast for the characters of Klein (Dizzasta), Asuna (xbubblemunkyx), and Tiffany (Octopimp).
Main Characters Edit
- YamatoSFX as Kazuto Kirigaya/Kirito
- The male protagonist of the series. As in the original series, he is an extremely skilled combatant and one of the best players in the game. However, in the abridged version, Kirito is an arrogant and snarky egomaniac who often ridicules other players mercilessly, driving people like Asuna to call him "The Crown Prince of Douchebags". Despite the fact that he knowingly goes out of his way to inconvenience and ridicule other players, this is all a persona. Kirito is actually extremely self-conscious about himself and desperately wants people to like him but doesn't know how to due to his lack of social skills. He originally was so self-conscious that he became shocked and incredibly upset whenever people called him an asshole. Though Kirito complains constantly about weaker players, he is often manipulated into joining miscellaneous quests.
- The female protagonist of the series and second in command of the Knights of the Blood Oath. Though she is skilled at combat and strategy, possibly even more than Kirito, she utterly lacks in the fundamentals of gaming, as she was unable to open her menu, send trade requests, understand that the player's names aren't their real ones or even eat. Asuna is adept at dealing with Kirito's narcissism, but it is shown that she is extremely uncomfortable with black characters, namely Tiffany, due to her isolated upbringing. On the surface she appears to be a nice caring person but beneath that she is a borderline psychotic person, also as a result of her upbringing. Despite this she pretends to be nice to people so people will like her for the person she wants people to see rather than the person she is.
- Takahata101 as Kayaba Akihiko/Heathcliff
- The creator of the NerveGear and head programmer of the game Sword Art Online. He is a big fan of movies from the 30s to the 90s and often makes references to them, but he just as often gets annoyed when no one gets them. In the game he is known as "Heathcliff", the leader of the guild "The Knights of the Blood Oath". He is known to be very sarcastic and often plays cartoon sound effects and silly music when he thinks something is a joke; for example, during Kirito's dual with Kuradeel, he played circus music because he thought it was a clown show.
- As Heathcliff he appears as a stoic leader who is proud to lead his tropes, but he is at constant odds when he comes into contact with Kirito. When they first met face to face he offered him a place in his guild, thinking Kirito would graciously accept, and was caught off guard when he refused. He struggles to keep in this persona though, especially when his fellow guild members annoy him. Does NOT work well under pressure.
- RedAsATomato as Yui
- A mysterious girl who appeared in Kirito and Asuna's house one day.
- Lennon Drake as Suguha Kirigaya/Leafa
- Kazuto's sister. She is a very aggressively sporty and very sarcastic person, possible more than Kazuto. She constantly makes fun of Kazuto, particularly about him injuring his penis when he accidentally ripped out his catheter when he woke up, and especially about his "online wife" who she doesn't believes exists.
- KaiserNeko as Nobuyuki Sugou/Oberon
- The man who was arranged to marry Asuna in order to stop her father from pulling the plug due to her mounting medical bills. He is a very perverted man who only hides his true nature from his boss, Shouzou Yuki. During the SAO incident he convinced Shouzou Yuuki to buy up the Aincrad servers in order to keep the players alive because it would look good on the company, as such he was the reason Kirito, Asuna and the other remaining players are still alive.He's secretly planning on developing the NerveGear into a mind control device, after learning that anyone with a high enough charisma score could convince anyone else to do whatever task requested, no matter how asinine. Sometimes overestimates the level of control he has over others.
Supporting Characters Edit
- The first player that Kirito meets in the game. He made his first character, BallsDeep69, as a joke avatar to use while he got the hang of the game, but was stuck with the name when the creator removed the ability to log out. Kirito refuses to acknowledge Klein's real name (with the exception of when he has an emotional moment) and instead chooses to call him "Balls" or "Ballsy", something other players have continued.
- Cheesemanjoe (Episode 2) and Octopimp (Episode 5–present) as Tiffany
- An African American living in Japan and a player in Sword Art Online. Like Klein/BallsDeep69, he got stuck with the name "Tiffany" after Kayaba removed the ability to log out, and reformatted the players to look like their RL selves. He doesn't appreciate the bravado and idiocy of most players in the game and enjoys putting people on edge and exploiting them, perhaps explaining his friendship with Kirito. He set up a weapons shop where he sells weapons that break easily to unsuspecting customers, and admits that most of the players are idiots and are willing to buy anything and everything and therefore won't notice the difference. Does NOT like interacting with Asuna, due to her constant and extremely awkward attempts to communicate with him in Ebonics.
- NikokoTee as Sachi
- A member of the Moonlit Black Cats. She has very poor internet connection, causing her to lag and glitch frequently. She ends up running away because she's worried that her lag will end up getting her guild killed. When Kirito finds her, she is able to show him how much of a jerk he has been to other players.
- Rachel Michelle as Silica
- A young girl trapped in Sword Art Online. Though she was a member of a small party, she split off from her group when her teammates threatened to skin her pet dragon, Pina, for leather-working experience. Silica's naivety ends up getting Pina killed when they are trapped in a battle with higher level monsters, and she is forced to team up with Kirito to resurrect him with the Pnuma flower.
- Megami33 as Lizbeth
- A skilled blacksmith who runs a weapons shop in Lindas on the 48th Floor. She is, or rather was, best friends with Asuna who frequently visited her shop to repair her sword. She's a introverted recluse who normally refuses to leave her shop, and heavily relies on Asuna as one of her only social contacts.
- MrBuddyVA as Shinichi Nagata/Recon
- A kind player of ALO, who is playing with a dodgy NerveGear, that he bought off the parents of an SAO victim, that randomly pulses the fear center of his brain and ambushes him with his deepest fears.
Side Characters Edit
- Hayabusa449 as Fatty
- A fat young player pretended to be seventeen.
- Sonicring123Dubs as Girl-Guy
- A teenager who pretended to be a girl.
- TehExorcist as Diabel
- The leader of the group that forms to fight the First Boss. Aside from Kirito, Asuna, and Tiffany, he is the most intelligent, sensible, and competent member of the group. He is very annoyed by everyone else's complete stupidity and lack of combat skills.
- Hayabusa449 as Kibaou
- A player who is under the nonsensical belief that the beta testers of the game are the reason they're stuck in the game. He has a undefined relationship with Diabel but he seemed concerned and shocked when he died. He later join the Aincrad Liberation Front and became the leader of a group trying to claim the position as the leader in a power struggle. He tricked his major rival, Thinker, into being trapped in a secret dungeon and assumed the position in his absence.
- Don Fluffles as Don Fluffles
- A rather sadistic cat that somehow learned to play Sword Art Online.
- LordMegatronG1 as Jeffrey
- A player in Sword Art Online. He is first seen in the fight against the first Floor Boss. He is shown to be insane as he constantly has visions of Jesus, who tells him to kill people. Most of the things Jeffrey says and does are because "Jesus told me to." In Episode 6, it is revealed that Jeffrey is the leader of Laughing Coffin, one of the most feared red guilds in the game. Jeffrey always recites a Bible verse before killing his victims, but they are almost always obscure, inaccurate or made up.
- spritestuff as Keita
- A cheater and the leader of the Moonlit Black Cats. He is also a manipulative opportunist and noticed that Kirito had very impressive stats, so he "convinced" him to join his guild. The rest of the guild is mostly made up of NPCs from various quests that Keita never finished. Keita figured out that as long as you don't complete the quests the NPCs stay with you and help fight and exploited this to his benefit. Keita owns a hat that adds +50 charisma points when worn, which he uses to convince other players (mostly Kirito) to do certain tasks for him.
- AtomicVoice as Gary
- An NPC from the world of Aincrad and is a member of the Moonlit Black Cats guild; the show's version of Ducker. Constantly repeats the scripted line "I have to save my family!".
- Hayabusa449 as Derrick
- An NPC who has a quest involving bandits, he was stolen by Keita to be in his guild.
- LordMegatronG1 as Charlie
- The game's tutorial NPC, who got stolen by Keita to be in his guild, possibly resulting in hundreds of newbies getting killed.
- puccaagarukiss as Rosalia
- A player in Sword Art Online, and previous teammate to Silica. After driving Silica out of their guild, Rosalia follows her and Kirito on their journey, and ambushes them. She reveals herself to be the leader of the low-level guild "Titan's Hand", and orders Kirito to hand the Pnuma flower over to her. She loves to psychoanalyze others in order to manipulate and/ore emotionally break them.
- Rachel Michelle as Yolko
- A timid, clumsy and dim-witted player in Sword Art Online and a prospective victim of a murderer. After her friend Kains was murdered in a Safe Zone, Yolko accompanies Asuna and Kirito in their investigation. Though she is helpful in the beginning of the investigation, Yolko insists the killer is the ghost of her guild leader Griselda, back from the dead to seek revenge on her and Schmitt. She, too, is murdered in a Safe Zone.
- Hayabusa449 as Kains
- A former member of the same guild as Yolko, Schmitt, Griselda and Grimlock. After he was murdered in a Safe Zone, which caused his former teammate and friend, Yolko, to ask Asuna and Kirito to investigate what happened to him.
- A cowardly and paranoid player in Sword Art Online who was often afraid of his angry fans and couldn't handle pressure. He makes a brief appearance in the fifth episode as the prospective victim of the murderer Asuna and Kirito are investigating. Schmitt worked as a game reviewer in the real world, and, since being trapped in the game, has become paranoid that his more hateful commenters will take advantage of his predicament and make attempts on his life.
- Sonicring123Dubs as Johnny Black
- One of the members of Laughing Coffin who is not very happy with Jeffrey's decisions on how to lead the guild. He wanted the guild to be bigger than the three members they had and for it to be more profitable.
- KaiserNeko as Grimlock
- The husband of his guilds leader, Griselda.
- MOM0KI as Griselda
- The former leader of the guild Golden Apple. She was killed by an unknown player six months before the events of her episode.
- Hayabusa449 as Kuradeel
- A member of the Knights of the Blood Oath who was introduced as Asuna's bodyguard. He appeared to be a quiet man, until he met Kirito that is. After which he became easily annoyed by his constant insults regarding his face, which included comparisons to Voldemort and Jeff Golblum in the Fly. He also appeared to have little concept of personal space as he broke into Asuna's house and watched her sleep to make sure he was doing his job properly, failing to see the irony obviously.
- Cheesemanjoe and KaggyVA as Corvatz
- One of the players who fought the First Boss, during which he and another player came up with a strategy of grouping up "and hit it 'til it dies". He later became a "General" of the Aincrad Liberation Front. During this time he found an item that punctuated his words with Spanish Guitar and started talking in an accent to "boost morale among my men", ironically resulting in the opposite.
- Eagle8Burger as Sam
- An announcer who comments on fights in Collinia. He has a calm fact based form of commentary, unlike his colleague Bob.
- Lanipator as Bob
- An announcer who comments on fights in Collinia. He has a loud form of commentary and seems unable to count.
- AntFish as Godfree
- A member of the Knights of the Blood Oath who is a hardcore roleplayer. He adopts a butchered Shakespearean style of speech and annoys everyone as a result.
- MrBuddyVA as The King of Ashes
- A blood thirsty player who ends up ruling over the mob that destroyed Collinia after Kirito and Heathcliff's duel.
- Hayden Daviau as Sasha
- A player who owns an orphanage for the children of the game who are too young to go out fighting Bosses. Has a limit to how far she can be ignored and taken advantage of.
- AliFluro as Yulier
- A member of the Aincrad Liberation Front. She is a loyal follower of one of the Guild members, Thinker, due to her blind love for him. She, like most players, didn't see/expect Kibaou to gain so many followers and start a rebellion in the guild to overthrow Thinker. Does not understand the meaning of the word "irony".
- Faulerro as Thinker
- One of the players fighting to be the leader of the Aincrad Liberation Front after it devolved into infighting. He wishing for peace and is at constant odds with Kibaou. Despite his name, as Yui points out, he isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and he was tricked into going to a "peace talk" with Kibaou which was held in a dungeon. To his surprise it was a trap to leave him there with no equipment.
- Coffinjockey as Nishida
- An old man who fishes for the sole reason of having sex with them.
- BlazingAzureCrow as Shouzou Yuuki
- Asuna's father. A greedy man who was almost tempted to cut his daughter's life support in order to save money on medical bills, but was only stopped when his lawyers pointed out that would "cause more problems that it would probably solve". So he opted to "marry her off" to one of his employees instead, even though he didn't know his name or what he was like. Is the source of Asuna adopting stereotypical racial slang when talking to members of other racial groups.
- BlazingAzureCrow as PantySmasher
- A player of ALO. He unwinds from his job at the soup kitchen by pretending to be a sexual predator.
- MrBuddyVA as Dylan/DeezGunz
- A player of ALO who roleplays as a perverted Hillbilly.
- Aaron Robert Parnell as Trevor/Keith
- A player of ALO who roleplays as a perverted southerner.
- Jesse Inocalla as Cazmer
- The Prince of the Sylphs, who is engaged to Leafa.
- Ken Tynan as The Math Tree
- A creepy tree, designed to teach kids math.
- YamatoSFX: Kirito, Beta-Tester's Roommate, Timmy, Additional Voices
- Hayabusa449: Kuradeel (Episode 8 & Episode 9), Fatty (Episode 1), Kibaou (Episode 2), "The Bandits Are Coming" NPC (Episode 3), Kains, Additional Voices
- Jragoswinn: Klein (1/2), Narrator, Tiffany (1/2), Beta-Tester, Stephen, Caps Lock Guy, Sir Jack Dapper, Nicholas the Renegade
- Misanda: Asuna (1/2), Gregory the Butler & Info Broker (Episode 3)
- Sonicring123: Girl Guy (Episode 1), Party Member (Episode 4), The Three Bromigos (Episode 5), extras, Johnny Black (Episode 6)
- Dizzasta: Klein (2/2), Goon 1 and 3 (Episode 4), Announcer (Episode 7)
- xbubblemunkyx: Asuna (2/2)
- Octopimp: Tiffany (2/2)
- Megami33: Lizbeth (Episode 7 and Episode 9)
- Takahata101: Kayaba Akihiko/Heathcliff (Episode 1, Episode 9, Episode 10 and Episode 11)
- Lennon Drake as Suguha Kirigaya/Leafa
- KaiserNeko: Grimlock (Episode 6), Nobuyuki Sugou/Oberon (Episode 12)
- TehExorcist: Diabel (Episode 2)
- LordMegatronG1: Jeffrey & Voices in Jeffrey's Head, Charlie (Episode 3 and Episode 6)
- Spritestuff: Keita (Episode 3)
- AtomicVoice: Gary
- NikoruChan18: Sachi (Episode 3)
- SakiSeshi: Dungeon Announcer (Episode 3)
- Senile Snake: Mob Goon (Episode 3)
- Rachel Michelle: Silica (Episode 4), Yolko (Episode 5 and Episode 6)
- puccaagarukiss: Rosalia (Episode 4)
- KaggyVA: "Dream" Kirito, Goon 2, Additional Voices (Episode 4), Schmitt (2/2)
- Daniel Hodge: Additional voices (Episode 4)
- ChaseFace: Schmitt (1/2)
- Sonicring123Dubs: Johnny Black (Episode 6 and Episode 9)
- MOM0KI: Griselda (Episode 6)
- Antfish: Godfree (Episode 9)
- Lanipator: Bob (Episode 9)
- Eagle8burger: Sam (Episode 9)
- redasatomato: Yui (Episode 9, Episode 10 & Episode 13)
- BuddyVA: King of Ashes (Episode 10 & Episode 11)
- Hayden Daviau: Sasha (Episode 10)
- AliFluro: Yulier (Episode 10)
- Faulerro: Thinker (Episode 10)
|Episode 1||Mar 29, 2013|
|Episode 2||Aug 19, 2013|
|Episode 3||Dec 21, 2013|
|Episode 4||Apr 9, 2014|
|Episode 5||Dec 11, 2014|
|Episode 6||Apr 22, 2015|
|Episode 7||Jul 31, 2015|
|Episode 8||Nov 1, 2015|
|Episode 9||Mar 11, 2016|
|Episode 10||Aug 28, 2016|
|Episode 11||Mar 27, 2017|
Fairy Dance ArcEdit
|Episode 12||Dec 14, 2017|
|Episode 13||Aug 24, 2018|
|Episode 14||Oct 4, 2019|
|Episode 15||Sep 25, 2020|
Differences from the Original Edit
Notable Improvements From Original SeriesEdit
- Despite being rather different from his original counterpart. Kirito's personality is much more fleshed out throughout the anime. His character arc is also more noticeable. He starts off as an arrogant, socially awkward nerd with a god complex, and isolates himself from others, only to cover up the fact that he's a complete loser in real life and is isolated by society. By the end of the Aincrad arc, he becomes a decent person, who at least has some faith in humanity and has actually opened himself to having genuine relationships with others.
- Kirito has PTSD from Sachi's death in Episode 3 (as someone should have from seeing someone die right in front of them). This is shown at the beginning and middle of Episode 4, teased in Episode 5, Episode 7, referred to again in Episode 9 and so forth.
- Like Kirito, Asuna's personality is also given time to be fleshed out and established. Asuna is notably a bitch, but described as strong, confident, absolutely fucking terrifying, racist, and even more insane than Kirito himself. However, Asuna also shows that she is caring about people, particularly Kirito and while she does use him like a tool at certain times, at other times, she accepts graciously that he's a good person (such as in Episode 11).
- Kirito and Asuna's romantic relationship is played much more like a teenage romance. They often times don't know what to do, like in Episode 10 when they are constantly confused on where to go in their relationship. Before that, they often butt heads and have arguments, which only seems to pull them closer together.
- Every girl in Kirito's 'Harem' in the original series is given a reason to not continue to pursue him (so far), aside from Asuna. In Episode 4, Silica remarks that Kirito is 'the worst person she's ever met.' In Episode 7, Lisbeth is threatened by Asuna near the end of the episode, that if she tries to make a move on Kirito, Asuna will most likely murder her. Later, Lisbeth becomes content after realizing Kirito is an asshole and he's not the best romantic partner. As of Episode 13, it's been thoroughly established that Suguha is a total bitch to Kirito about practically everything and never passes up the chance to mock him. The reason for this is not concrete, but it may just be that Suguha emphasizes what Kirito went into SAO to escape from, that he's a complete loser in real life. No romantic feelings are implied.
- Certain characters are given more of a purpose than in the series and connect the main characters more.
- Klein (Ballsdeep69), serves as Kirito's constant reminder that giving people chances and letting himself be open to relationships, may not be so bad. He remarks in Episode 11, that he indeed made a difference in Kirito and is overjoyed by it.
- Yui serves to bring Asuna and Kirito closer together, rather than just be their daughter. Yui also showcases upfront that self-sacrifice is a genuinely kind act, as well as admitting one's mistakes isn't that hard either, an act that later makes Kirito and Asuna both more mature in the long run.
- Sachi, makes Kirito have PTSD for several episodes.
- Rosalia, completely guesses correctly that Kirito only plays tough and that being trapped in a game was the best thing that could happen to him, whereas it's only as she predicts, an act. This conversation shows up in various other episodes, Kirito either denying that Rosalia was right, or painfully accepting that she was right.
- Kayaba, the similarities between Kirito and Kayaba are apparent. They both are socially inept gamers with god complexes. However, when they talk in Episode 11, Kirito has already gone through a character arc and disagrees that people are completely incompetent. He proceeds to mock Kayaba and then ask for a rematch. The final difference is when Kayaba is defeated, and he mentions Dungeonmaster, a series Kirito has never heard of before, despite Kirito recognizing all of Kayaba's previous references.
- Kayaba is given a reason to trap everyone in SAO in the game.
- What's unneeded is skipped. (The Fishing Arc...)
- They are YouTube partners, & are currently on the network "Screenwave Media"
- The cat they used for Don Fluffles is from the anime "Ghost Stories". The dub of that show is notorious for the ad-libbed dialogue the characters say, and is commonly referred to as the shows "official abridged series".
- During episode 11 Klein becomes so overjoyed he can barely talk, but what he's actually is saying "No pod is worth two slaves! I'm a Toydarian, Jedi mind tricks don't work on me, only money!" from Star Wars Episode I.