|Mobile Suit Abridged: Gundam Wing|
July 14, 2017 - Present
MSA:GW is a direct parody with most characters remaining relatively unchanged. While some major plot events are rearranged and altered, the show mostly sticks to the original events from the source material. The series has also spawned a spin-off video series titled "Sowing Discord," at least one of which was intended to be canonical with the main show.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- (x / x) means that character has been voiced by different people
- Name means an important/major recurring character
|staindgrey||Wufei, Cmd. Bonaparte|
|LuckyBlue||Trowa, Dr. Wily|
|Paprika_Jack||Heero, Dr. Scholls, Pagan|
|FlaminFogelman||Zechs, Gen. Septum|
|Android 21||Lady Une|
|irisdragon||Sally, Relena's Friend|
|FireBird||Rasheed, Dr. Seuss, Vice Foreign Minister Darlian|
Production[edit | edit source]
Theme Songs and Eyecatches[edit | edit source]
MSA:GW uses "Just Communication" by Two-Mix, the theme song for the original show. However, every episode's eyecatch is made individually for that episode with a new cover of the original song every time from episode 2 forward. The songs used are linked in the end screen of the episode in which they're featured.
They also include their disclaimer within the eyecatch itself via written text, rather than before with spoken word as most abridgers do. It says, "This is a not-for-profit parody. Rights to New Mobile Report: Gundam Wing belong to TV Asahi, Sunrise, Viz Media & Bandai Namco." In the series's first four episodes, however, Viz Media was replaced with "TOKYOPOP" mistakenly.
Next Time On[edit | edit source]
At the end of every episode, MSA:GW replicates Gundam Wing's next episode preview complete with the song "Code Name Heero Yuy," as used in the original show. These previews, however, are rarely indications of what will actually happen in the following episode, and are instead used as a way to tell isolated punchlines using footage otherwise not in the episode. The "next time on" for episode 7, which used a Discord interface to simulate a conversation among four of the main characters, was what spawned the spin-off "Sowing Discord" videos.
Unlike the original Gundam Wing, in which Heero voiced every preview, each of MSA:GW's episodes' "next time on" segments is narrated by a different character. Currently, the characters who have voiced a "next time on" are:
- Episode 1: Relena
- Episode 2: Heero
- Episode 3: Duo
- Episode 4: Trowa
- Episode 5: General Septum
- Episode 6: Quatre
- Episode 7: Wufei
- Episode 8: Zechs
Operation Meatier's TIBA entry and season one announcement video also featured "next time on" segments, both voiced by Heero.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Main Article for Character Bios: Mobile Suit Abridged Characters
Ongoing Jokes and Differences from the original series[edit | edit source]
List of Episodes[edit | edit source]
Season One[edit | edit source]
- Ep.1 "The Shooting Star She Saw on the Sea Shore"
- Ep.2 "Noin's Loins: The Zechs Machine"
- Ep.3 "Goodbye My Darlian: Oz's Une-Finished Business"
- Ep.4 "Party Foul! Heero's Big Trip-Up"
- Ep.5 "Oz's Plan Comes Full Circle, and It's a Revolution"
- Ep.6 "Wufei Crosses Swords with Treize (He Doesn't Measure Up)"
- Ep.7 "The Gundams Get a Second Chance... and Heero Bombs It"
- Ep.8 "Premeditated Murder: Relena Gives It a Shot"
- Ep.9 "Trowa Gets Punched in the Face. That's it. That's the title."
- Ep.10 "Battle in Antarctica! Zechs & Heero Break the Ice" (unreleased)
[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Operation Meatier and Mobile Suit Abridged both began with their entry into TeamFourStar's Tenkaichi Ironman Budokai Abridgathon (TIBA) contest, though they did not place and didn't come back to the series until a year later.
- All of the Doctors in the show are given names that reference recognizable "doctors" in popular media. However, their names are never said with "Doctor" preceding it, except for Dr. Dre in episodes 3 & 4.
- LuckyBlue and staindgrey, the co-creators, co-directors and co-writers of the show, are brothers who bonded watching Gundam Wing when they were younger.
- The series is titled "Mobile Suit Abridged: Gundam Wing" because the show's creators wanted to leave the door open to abridging other Gundam series in the future under the same title.