Kirby Abridged mostly uses footage from the anime, Kirby: Right Back At Ya (also known as Kirby of the Stars in Japan). The series currently has a total of 33 episodes, 3 Christmas specials, +16 Kwickies (shorts), and extra content like music, bloopers, and other non-KA content (Kirby: Right Back At Ya lost and non-lost episodes, and formerly, Disney videos, Hakuoki, AMVS). In addition to YouTube, the series was also advertised on several websites like their own blog, Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and Tumblr. They also sold merchandise like KA bottle cap necklaces and homemade plushies.
In early 2010, both PrettyKitty13 and KoopaMedia64 got their inspiration by watching an episode of a previous Kirby Abridged series (which is now removed from YouTube and remains lost to this day). According to PrettyKitty13, the two found it to be rather horrible. The acting and script were poorly done, the jokes were unfunny and it felt like a bunch of guys did this over Skype on a WAMPServer. The two loved the Kirby show so much that they could do a good abridged series if they'd just put their minds to it.
The series premiered April 14, 2010 on YouTube with the episode, "For Your Memes Only". After nearly two episodes, the show went on hiatus in 2011 for one year straight due to production delays. It returned again with "The Big @$$ Bill" on January 29, 2012, and then the show was delayed once again for the rest of 2012. In 2013, the series returned with new episodes (except in July, September and October due to production delays). That same year the "Kwickies" were introduced. 2014 and 2015 kept churning out all new videos until the 29th episode, "Denticidal Maniac" on October 25, 2015.
Originally on November 2, 2015, a final announcement was made that the series would be ending due to the strict copyright laws in Canada, as well as the creators not finding enough time to make episodes. As a result, all videos on their channel were deleted. All of the main episodes and kwickies were uploaded on the Kirby Abridged Graveyard, which is now terminated.
Following the termination, the series was initially thought to be lost and gone with the wind until November 29, 2016, where the videos for Kirby Abridged were re-uploaded on their old channel again, and hinted they were coming back. On December 5, 2016, the 30th episode "Dinner with a Side of Gender Roles" was released, with the third Christmas special, "Chilly the Snowman", being released on December 22 of that year. The series went on another one year hiatus due to the latter reason that got KA briefly getting cancelled, with the creators expressing interest in making more.
Fortunately, about a year later on October of 2018, the series returned again with the 31st episode, "You Can't Abridge That on TV". The 32nd episode of the series, "A New Dope" was released a month later in November. New episodes of the series were thought to be made until January 2020, when PrettyKitty13 announced that the series could be removed again due to the new COPPA laws. However, the 33rd episode, "The N. M. E. Strikes Back", was released on May 18, 2020, indicating that the series could continue despite the COPPA laws, confirmed by the release of the 34rd and latest episode "Return of the Joey" two months later on August 10th.
Main Cast EditKirby (Eldric Irons/A.M. The Ocarina Player (poyo sounds)) - The hero of the show. Kirby's internal thought process is that of an old English-style gentleman. However, when he verbally speaks, is only capable of saying his trademark "poyo". A dilemma that torments him to no end.
"I would recommend seeking professional medical aid....but what do I know.."Poyo poyo"..." ~ episode 29 (Kirby's watching Tuff suffer with a nasty toothache)
"If only you plebeians realized your race was color-blind, I could be florescent yellow or spotted brown, for all you know" ~ Episode 13 (Kirby patronizing the cappies for forgetting his color palette)
Meta Knight (Eldric Irons) - Part of the old star warrior army and undisputed fan-favorite of KA. He likes playing The XBOX 360 game "World Of Tanks", eating Doritos and takes sh!t from nobody, especially not Tiff who often tries to order, bully or bribe him into doing what she wants. He is sarcastic, cynical, snarky & shows no mercy in saying what he really thinks of people. In the earlier part of the series, Meta Knight made a point of skipping the monster fight scene with the opening line "I've got a better idea", but it was short-lived after Tiff ceased it in favor of Kirby battling monsters (episode 7). Meta Knight has had two full episodes dedicated to him (episodes 18 & 25) in which there was a running gag that nobody ever listens to him and everyone talks over his dialogue. Unlike the 4Kids dub of Kirby: Right Back at Ya, he lacks a Mexican accent.
"Looks like we're up that familiar creek with no propulsion device kids..." ~ Episode 21 (Meta Knight basically saying to everyone we're up sh!t creek without a paddle)
King Dedede (KoopaMedia64) - The king of Dreamland. He is a chronic jerk who loves nothing more than bringing misery to the town, Kirby and enjoys devising plans to "get rid" of him, however, as the series progressed, he was content to simply "bum around the castle" watching TV. He has an immense love for "tater chips" & peanut butter cookies which Escargoon's Mom introduced him to in episode 6, and has been a running gag ever since. Dedede has a penchant for giving nicknames to guest characters, calling J.K Rofling the "Story Lady" (episode 22) and Escargoon's mother the "Cookie Lady" (episode 6).
"ESCARGOON! YOU CRACKERS BETTER NOT HAVE STARTED ANOTHER EPISODE WITHOUT ME!!-----And where's the bathroom tissue?..." Episode 6 (Dedede complaining when he didn't appear until much later in the episode)
- Tiff (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - Kirby's partner and Tuff's older sister. Her personality is very two-faced. There's a reoccurring joke in the series that she's Knuckle Joe's ex-girlfriend and that she tries to get Meta Knight to be romantically interested in her. There was also an episode in which she fell deeply (and creepily) in love with a teacher named Mr. Chip, with whom she wanted to join forces with "and together rule the galaxy, as man and wife". She is one of the few characters to listen to Kirby's inner thoughts.
- Tuff (PrettyKitty13) - Tiff's brother and another sidekick of Kirby. He is a very free going person, as he has a interest of Samo's bar, having very little interest in ongoing shenanigans unless there's something in it for him. (episode 26, when he declared himself king of Cappy Town and commanded Tiff to be sent to the dungeon).
- Escargoon (PrettyKitty13 in most of his appearances, KoopaMedia64 in two Kirby Kwickies shorts) - A snail, and the King Dedede's lackey, who has a close relationship with him. He likes to play tricks on Kirby and the others, has a great caring mom who he dearly loves, and had a whole episode dedicated to him. He is also known for making King Dedede fake peanut butter cookies "using almonds & a Play-Doh™ Fun Factory™". In one Kirby Kwickies short, D is for Desparate, KoopaMedia64 filled in for the role of Escargoon while PrettyKitty13 was sick.
- NME Salesman (Eldric Irons in eps 1-8, KoopaMedia64 in eps CS-29) - A salesman who sells monsters to King Dedede. As of the first Christmas special, he speaks with a "foreign" accent where subtitles appear at the bottom for laughs, as compared to earlier episodes where he spoke like a shady cars salesman.
- Chef Kawasaki (KoopaMedia64) - Cappytown's chef and owns his own restaurant, which is known for being horrible. He had been taught by Chef Shitake and he hopes that one day, their will never be a food themed episode ever again, along with the other main characters agreeing with him. His voice is modeled after Charlie In The Box From The Rudolph The Red Nosed Reigndeer™Christmas Special by Ranken/Bass.
- Chief Bookem (Eldric Irons in eps 1-10, Alecrob in eps 11-13, Jake "The Voice" in eps 14-29) - The town's loyal chief and crime justice. While he doesn't play big roles in the early episodes, he starts to become more known later in the series as a supporting character, and is one heck of a rapper & enjoys composing rock music in his spare time.
- Waddle Dee (Pretty Kitty Thriteen & A.M. The Ocarina Player) - Servants of the King. In the Abridged Series, rather than being silent, the waddle-dees speak in a series of coos, hums and squeaks, by which they can make simple words like "uh-huh" and "uh-oh". They are very well unionized and even have their own christmas choir ( which is taken advantage of in "12 Days Of Waddle-Dees Christmas Countdown)
- Lolo and Lala (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - They serve Sir Ebrum and Lady Like. The twins' only desire was to one day have more and perhaps ultimately have an episode dedicated to themselves, it was jokingly hinted that the two are so worthless that even a government department wouldn't hire them and that they should stick to making iPhones & Gucchi Hand bags in the back room.
- Sir Ebrum (KoopaMedia64) -Tiff and Tuff's father and Lady Like's husband. He is known for having a distinguishable Italian accent (a tribute to Nintendo's Mario). His personality was very unpolished in earlier episodes, but overall, he enjoys live-action role-play, anime, writing fan-fictions about anime, cross-dressing (his favorite is a Japanese high priestess or in his wife's nickers) & being a social pariah. Somehow, Lady Like loves him anyway....
- Professor Curio (PrettyKitty13) - Cappytown's archaeologist and history researcher. He often wishes his job as an archeologist could be as cool as Indiana Jones. It's hinted that he, like Ebrum, also enjoys fan-fictions.
- Mayor Blustergas (KoopaMedia64) - The mayor of Cappytown. The KA crew often described him as being a "putz" (Yiddish word to describe a complete and utter idiot) his voice was unknowingly modeled after his original Kirby of the Stars (Japanese: 星のカービィ, Hepburn: Hoshi no Kābī) voice, which was very delicate sounding and high pitched (i.e, A weeny). The Mayor often behaves like a man-child, using very puerile words & he'll believe almost anything, so long as it isn't in the realm of logic. He has a very abstract imagination...
- Dr.Yabui (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - Cappytown's doctor and dentist. The Doc is, to say the least, a wild card. He isn't very good at his job and The KA Crew describes him as "One of "those" friends, the really weird one?" Doc has a sometime dead-pan sense of humor & he really doesn't care whether or not his patients live, he can always get the wheelbarrow and shovel out so no one notices anything....
- Whispy Woods (Eldric Irons in ep 9, Alecrob in ep 23) - A living tree who is the guardian of the forest. He is high. all. the. time. which can lead to very.....odd conversations with other characters. He loves arbor day.
- Lady Like (PrettyKitty13) - Tiff and Tuff's mother and married to Sir Ebrum. Like Sir Ebrum, she keeps secrets from the children, and speaks very calmly.
- Escargoon's Mother (Leena_Lamont) - She is the mother of Escargoon. She lives outside of Cappytown, has a close bond with Escargoon, loves to bake cookies for people, and thinks that Kirby Abridged is running out of material and that they shouldn't make anymore episodes.
- Iro (Koopamedia64 in ep 1-10, 14, Alecrob in eps 11-25) One of three friends of Tuff. The only thing that can be said about Iro is in later episodes, he speaks very formally and says that Spike Head is a she, but covers it up by calling him a he.
- Mrs. Blustergas (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - The wife of Mr.Blustergas. She has the same crazy personality as her husband, and in episode 1 has cancer.
- Sirica (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - Meta Knight's foe, which seeks revenge on him for taking the galaxies sword for himself for leaving his mother to die.
- Samo (Jake "The Voice") - A bartender and owner of his own bar. He has a massive crush on Mabel and in episode 16 is revealed to be her brother.
- Mr. Chip (Uncredited) - A temporary teacher for Cappy Town's school. He has a very scary personality like Tiff and is also asked to rule the galaxy and to be man and wife by Tiff.
- Waddle Doo (ShadowClaw71 in ep 4, KoopaMedia64 in CS-28) - King Dedede's servant and commander of the Waddle Dees. While not is known about him in the series, he can speak the same language the tourists can.
- Spike Head (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - One of three friends of Tuff. When he gets pumped, he will say "Hell Yeah", and is mentioned by Iro to be a girl, but admits to him he's a boy.
- Mabel (A.M. The Ocarina Player) - Cappy Town's psychic and fortune teller. Is known for having a very mysterious personality and even predicts the apocalypse.
- Gengu (Denham Joyce) - The owner and clerk of Cappy Town's toy store, as well as a toy designer.
Common Jokes and PunsEdit
Kirby Abridged is well known for making very funny jokes and puns, in which some of them get kept and used in several episodes for humor.
- Ever since episode 6 when Escargoon's mom gave King Dedede peanut butter cookies, he has had a huge desire for them, which is probably his favorite dessert.
- Tiff will commonly mention a society called "The friendly wholesome society of friendly fun wholesomeness" , which teaches you respect towards your family friends, and yourself. Tiff will usually say this if people are hesitant towards a situation or if they aren't acting friendly.
- During 2013, when Kirby: Right Back At Ya lost episodes were getting uploaded, they were mentioned a few times on several episodes and kwickies, stating that fans were curious and requesting for them and often gave karma to Escargoon and King Dedede for not uploading them.
- A dislike for the main characters are food-themed episodes, which is criticized by them due to the large amount there is and hope that one day there will never be one again. This is usually mentioned when well... when there is a food-themed episode.
- Spike Head will usually say "Hell, yeah", when he's pumped up.
- Chef Kawasaki will say several times that he doesn't want to do the walnut skit again. Although it's never shows what the walnut skit is, we can assume it scarred Chef Kawasaki for life.
- They break the 4th wall in almost every episode.
Voice actors/actresses youtube channelsEdit
Many of the people on the show have their own YouTube channels, which they upload their own stuff outside of Kirby Abridged. There are links on the names if you want to see their channels and possibly subscribe.
- Koopamedia64- while he doesn't do much uploads anymore, he plays many of the classic Garfield games plus other cool stuff.
- A.M. The Ocarina Player- plays magnificent Ocarina and does reviews on anime and tv shows.
- ShadowClaw71 (ShadowClaw X)- has videos on sonic games and comics, Kirby fandubs, how to draw videos, and more. He also works on the other Kirby Abridged series, which can be seen here.
- TheHamtaroFlower1- does a lot of YTPs and several clips of anime and tv shows, plus he does a couple of Abridged series too.
- Boomerfunk4 (Elliot Jones)- mainly uploads funny clips on what famous Youtubers say and some anime moments as well.
- TrunkLidProductions- uploads stuff about racecars like races, display, and destruction.
- Jake "The Voice"- runs the "Cyber Den", where he interviews video game developers, voice actors, and Youtubers. He also uploads YTPs, video game soundtracks, and does voice acting in others videos too.
- Denham Joyce- has a mixture of stuff on his videos, mainly about animation, stop motion, and interactive design. He also has another channel titled Neshmere, which can also be seen here.
- Waddle Dee Power- he does blogs on his plushie adventures and himself, and does gaming videos too.
- For Your Memes Only (April 14, 2010)
- The Merv Came Back (December 16, 2010)
- The Big @$$ Bill (January 29, 2012)
- Much Ado 'Bout Nothing (April 1, 2013)
- A Silent Hill 2 Remember (April 22, 2013)
- What a Mom Wants (May 12, 2013)
- Shadow of the Colossal Fat@$$ (June 18, 2013)
- Crouching Idiot Hidden Psycho (August 12, 2013)
- Environmentally Frenzied! (November 24, 2013)
- How the Dedede Stole New Years! (December 29, 2013)
- It's Not Delivery, It's Dedede (March 4, 2014)
- Chips Ahoy! (April 1, 2014)
- Steamboat Kirby (April 18, 2014)
- Who Wants to be a Minionaire (June 5, 2014)
- Enter the Moron (June 19, 2014)
- It's a Wonderful Apocalypse (July 21, 2014)
- Stumpenwoof and the Chocolate Factory (August 11, 2014)
- Meta Knight's Swordid Story (September 4, 2014)
- Curiosity Killed the Curio (October 18, 2014)
- Day of the Bottlecap (November 23, 2014)
- The Battle Of The One Army (February 8, 2015)
- Pappy's Potty and the Stoned Philosopher (March 7, 2015)
- Fear and Loathing in Cappy Town (April 24, 2015)
- Fast Times At Cappy High (May 27, 2015)
- Emergency Exodus Only (June 28, 2015)
- D Is For Disfunctional (August 14, 2015)
- Mangey and Me (August 31, 2015)
- Virtual Stupidity (October 6, 2015)
- Denticidal Maniac (October 25, 2015)
- Dinner with a Side of Gender Roles (December 5, 2016)
- You Can't Abridge That on TV (October 19, 2018)
- A New Dope (November 18, 2018)
- The N. M. E. Strikes Back (May 18, 2020)
- Return Of The Joey (Augest 10, 2020)
- How the Dedede Stole Christmas (December 24, 2013)
- Dedede's Christmas Carol (December 20, 2014)
- Chilly the Snowman (December 22, 2016)
- Episode 35: The Good, The Bad, And The Garbage (Junk Jam)
- Episode 36: Someday, My Fish Will Come (A Fish Named Kine)
- Episode 37: Sleeping Chocoholic (Flowey Power)
- Coffee (May 3, 2013)
- We in Deep Sheep Now... (June 16, 2013)
- Revenge of the memes (July 21, 2013)
- Plot of No Return (August 4, 2013)
- D is for Desperate (September 7, 2013)
- Mosugaba! I Choose You! (September 11, 2013)
- Your Comments Are Important to Us (November 15, 2013)
- Be Still my Beaten Heart (February 12, 2014)
- D is for Delicious (July 1, 2014)
- Garlic News Network (August 15, 2014)
- Fan Canon Fodder (January 16, 2015)
- Forever Home Alone (April 20, 2015)
- The Random Cheese (September 9, 2015)
- D Is For Dinner (September 18, 2015)
- Cereal Killer (November 27, 2015)
- Fan-Friction (November 29, 2015)
- Camp Kidney-Stoned (December 10, 2016)