|Batman: The Abridged Series|
DrMircow (credited as Mircea)
February 2010 - present
Batman: The Abridged Series is the title of Abridged Brothers' abridged series based on the Batman: The Animated Series, made by Warner Brothers Animation. It is a collaboration between My Name Is Mircea Inc., Bagonaf Studios and Spajatalious Inc. It is further supported by Alano Guy and Jason. Like many abridged series, Batman: TAS takes the personalities of each character to their extremes and conveys the original plot, showing the ridiculous oversight of many characters within each episode.
History[edit | edit source]
Early Ideas[edit | edit source]
Around November 2009, mainly inspired by LittleKuriboh, DrMircow was trying to come up with some ideas for an abridged series which he was planning to feature it on his own Youtube channel. Like many abridged creators, he was trying to find a cartoon show which was never abridged by anyone on Youtube. DrMircow was a big fan of the '90s cartoon shows whereas agunemon589 was a big fan of animes. As a result, they both agreed on joining together and abridging one single show. A few weeks later, after lots of research, they decided to abridge the famous DC animated show, Batman. Initially it was DrMircow's suggestion due to the similarity between the words "animated" and "abridged" which gave him the idea.
Planning The Series[edit | edit source]
Around December 2009 and January 2010, the main writer of the show was DrMircow and aided by agunemon589. He was the person responsible for making all the jokes, characters' personality and the plots in each episode. The first thing he did was searching for a theme/trademark for the show. For example, one of LittleKuriboh's trademarks is the frequent use of the catchphrase "children's card game". DrMircow decided to have bagels as a theme for the show. Later on, this led to the creation of a character which loved bagels and was talking about them constantly, in an obsessive manner.
Making The Episodes[edit | edit source]
In February 2010, the Youtube channel for the Abridged Brothers was created. One month later, in March, the first episode of Batman: The Abridged Series was produced and uploaded on the channel. It was entitled "Episode Pilot" and it was based on the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series which was entitled "On Leather Wings". The feedback from users on Youtube was generally positive, keeping in mind that it was the team's first attempt in abridging a cartoon show. The users praised the characters' personality, their voices and some of the jokes used (the notable one is the bagel joke) in the episode, but criticized the plot holes which were present. That caused some people to not understand properly the plot of the episode. Nevertheless, it did not stop the Abridged Brothers in pushing their boundaries and improving their abridging skills. Since then, ten more episodes were produced (two of them were divided in two parts) which were well received by the Youtube community and abridge fans.
Overview[edit | edit source]
As the name suggests, Batman: The Abridged Series is a dramatically shortened down version of the original series, cutting each episode down from its original twenty minutes. This includes episodes in two or more parts.
Plotline[edit | edit source]
The first few episodes focused more on how Batman fought all the villains in Gotham City, with or without the aid of his allies. As the series progressed, the plotline was altered a bit. Instead of just fighting his enemies, Batman had to stop the evil corporation of Warner Brothers which was creating chaos all around the world. Nevertheless, Batman: The Abridged Series does not have a proper plotline yet.
Humour[edit | edit source]
The humour of the series has constantly varied and expanded from its original premise. Rather than just making fun at the original series, other elements have been added throughout time to the parody. The series is known for using bagel jokes and Sir Elias references. Moreover, the use of lowbrow jokes is quite notable in the series as well, but not necessarily in a bad way.
Music[edit | edit source]
The series is also known for playing different songs to suit the mood of certain situations.
Guest Appearances[edit | edit source]
List Of Episodes[edit | edit source]
Season One[edit | edit source]
- Episode 1: Episode Pilot
- Episode 2: These Padoes Are Failing
- Episode 3: Do You Feel Like A Douchebag?
- Episode 4: Recycling
- Episode 5: Smoking!
- Episode 6: Call Him Biggsee
- Episode 7: Dawn Of The Irishman (two part episode)
- Episode 8: The Case Of The Missing Bagels (two part episode)
- Episode 9: My Name Is Bob
- Episode 10: The Wrath Of Chuck Norris
- Episode 11: The Return Of Chuck Norris
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Characters of Batman: The Abridged Series
As expected in a parody, the characters for the series have similar personalities to their original counterparts; however, most aspects are greatly exaggerated.
Real Interaction[edit | edit source]
Some characters like Batman, Detective "Bollocks", The Joker and The Mayor have their own Twitter accounts where they post their own personal thoughts regarding what is happening around the real world (or abridged world) nowadays. Not all the posts are relevant, but they are intended to keep the fans entertained and used for comic relief. Batman is the only character who has a Facebook page as well. The accounts are as follows:
- Batman's Twitter account
- Batman's Facebook page
- Detective "Bollocks"'s Twitter account
- The Joker's Twitter account
- The Mayor's Twitter account
Theme Tune[edit | edit source]
Each episode starts with the original intro of Batman: The Animated Series but with a different theme tune. The song used is "Elephants" by Them Crooked Vultures.
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
Batman: The Abridged Series is known for using soundtracks in its episodes. Currently 10 scores have been used in the series. What follows is a list of the scores:
- Episode 1
Günther & The Sunshine Girls - Ding Dong Song
- Episode 2
Various Artists - Jingle Bells Smash Mouth - All Star
- Episode 3
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
- Episode 4
Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) Caesars - Jerk It Out
- Episode 5
Matt Willis - Crash Free - All Right Now
- Episode 6
The Blues Brothers - Soul Man Survivor - Eye of The Tiger Kool & The Gang - Celebration! Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure
- Episode 7 (both parts)
Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive The Killers - Human (Instrumental Version) Nirvana - Come As You Are Castle Crashers - Painter Boss Theme The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again The Who - Baba O'Riley
- Episode 8 (both parts)
Castle Crashers - Castle Crashers Theme Led Zeppelin - Kashmir Gorillaz - M1A1 Nirvana - Come As You Are Van Halen - Jump Wagner - The Ride of the Valkyries
- Episode 9
Mission Impossible - Theme Tune Castle Crashers - Ice Castle Blues Brothers - Peter Gunn Theme Tune "Wierd Al" Yankovic - Angry White Boy Polka
- Episode 10
Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like A Lady) Céline Dion - My Heart Will Go On Nino Rota - The Godfather (Theme Tune) The Hit Crew - The Undertaker Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells Part One Paul Linford - Don't Like It Do Ya
- Episode 11
Jesper Kyd - 47 Attacks Jon Brooks - Army of Doom Jesper Kyd - Hunter Hans Zimmer - Radical Notion Splinter Cell - Deadline Immediate Music - Blasphemy 2.0 Untitled Sad Piano Song He-Man - What's Going On?
Recurring Jokes[edit | edit source]
- Alfred saying "Wooh!".
- The Scarecrow saying "Bwah!"
- Detective Bollocks loving bagels in an obsessive manner.
- Poison Ivy having a deep voice.
- Bruce's addiction to weed and women.
- Bruce is dressing as Batman when he is constipated.
- Every time when an explosion occurs, Detective Bollocks screams "Oh no! By bagel was in there!"
- Sir Elias being mentioned throughout the series.
- Robin's lack of appearances in the series.
- Occasional random appearances of Epic Face.
- The currency in the series is Bollocks Dollars.
- The Joker making flat puns.
- Two-Face describing an attack (ie. "Lamp Attack!")
- When there are no bagels, there is KFC.
- KFC is the cure for AIDS.
- When someone gets knocked down, a voice is heard in the background which describes the "kill" (ie. Double Kill, Ultra Kill, etc).
- Commissioner Gordon getting prank calls every time he is on the phone.
- The Joker calling for his make-up artist and reminding Batman that he loves his children every time his plans fail.
- Warner Brothers Entertainment being portrayed as an evil corporation.
- Characters blaming Warner Brothers Entertainment for any kind of flaw in the series.
- Characters sometimes criticizing Batman: The Arbridged Series for being a poor abridged series.
Spin-Offs[edit | edit source]
Batman: The Abridged Series spanned two spin-offs. The first one was The Bollocks Show. As the title suggests, it is a talk show starring Detective "Bollocks" (voiced by Bagonaf) as the host. In each episode, he picks a particular topic and talks about it. Currently, there are two episode.
On 16th of January 2011, a second spin-off was planned to air on 15th of February 2011 to celebrate the first anniversary of the Abridged Brothers. The spin-off was entitled Batman Beyond: The Abridged Series and is a direct sequel to Batman: The Abridged Series. On the 15th of February, the first episode was uploaded on Youtube and was highly praised by fans.
Deleted Episode[edit | edit source]
Since Batman: The Abridged Series was created and episodes started being uploaded on YouTube, Episode Pilot was removed twice due to copyright infringement from Warner Brothers Entertainment. As a result, the removal messed up the uploading chronology of the series. The Abridged Brothers took action and made a special video entitled "DELETE.." which showed the well-known scene in the bunker from the movie Downfall . The Nazis in the video were representing Warner Brothers Entertainment who just found out that a bunch of kids were abridging their famous Batman: The Animated Series. As a result, they decided to take down every single episode from YouTube (although only the first episode was removed, twice). Made up subtitles were used to interpret what Warner Brothers were saying at that moment. thumb|314px|right|This is the actual "DELETE..." video. The video also showed an aftermath, but that time in the abridged universe of Batman: The Abridged Series. It started off with someone being carried on a stretcher by doctors in a hospital. That scene marked the first appearance of Dr. Mircow in the series, a fictionalized version of the real DrMircow. Later in the video, Dr. Mircow informed Bruce and Commissioner Gordon that one of their friends (an Abridged Brother) was murdered by Warner Brothers and their first episode was deleted. Hearing that, Bruce decided to stop the evil corporation of Warner Brothers Entertainment once and for all. The video ended with a flashback from Episode Pilot (the deleted episode) where Commissioner Gordon had an argument with Detective Bollocks about his "Bollocks Dollars" and Bollocks reminding him that they might get fired by Warner Brothers if they do not come up with an agreement (ironically, making reference to the episode being deleted later on).
Since the incident, the Abridged Brothers started putting many disclaimers in the description box of their episodes. Furthermore, they started adding links to iTunes for each song used in their episodes, so people can download the songs legally.
It is yet unknown if the tactic actually worked, but since the accident they never got reported nor receive any notices of infrigment.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In each episode DrMircow is credited by his real name, Mircea, although he prefers to be called by his stage name.
- agunemon589 came up with the idea to use bagels in the series, which late became one of the trademarks of the series.
- Episode 1 took almost three weeks to complete. Also, it was removed from Youtube twice due to copyright infringement.
- Episode 3 is the only episode where the word f*** was not censored. This was due to a mistake in editing.
- The first part of Episode 7 was all improvised during the day of the recording. No script was produced for it.
- Sir Elias was created by mistake. During the recording of Episode 1, DrMircow was finishing his line when agunemon589 shouted out "Look, it's an Elias!". Note that the line was not used in the edited version of the episode.
- Initially, Detective Bollocks was supposed to be voiced by Alano Guy, but Bagonaf took his role in the end.
- The rapist inside Harvey Dent (aka Chuck Norris) was supposed to have a Nappa voice and to be voiced by agunemon589, but due to illness he could not make it to the recording session. As a result, Bagonaf took his part and a different voice was used to suit the plotline of the episode.
- lloydSSJ4 was the first voice-actor to make a guest appearance in the show.